Friday, December 31, 2010

For what I am about to do, please forgive me!

Here I go!! Time to really take on the biggest challenge of my life and give it my best shot. I am nervous. I am concerned. And I need to apologize to everyone who comes in contact with me over the next month for the bitchiness, the depression, the lethargy, the meanness that may come out of me. I am going to do my best to control it all with yoga, meditation, and other self care, but I may have a few slips of the tongue, rolling of the eyes, slamming of doors, and maybe even a middle finger lifted while driving.

Yes, I am going off sugar. In fact, I am also going off of white flour, too. No more refined carbohydrates. And I decided to go all the way and take out caffeine and dairy products while I am at it. The caffeine and dairy is an experiment. If I feel really good after going off all of it, I will maintain that plan. The sugar and other refined carbs are not negotiable, however.

I watched a video today on the possible side effects of this endeavor and I almost waivered in my resolve. I had to remind myself that this is not a New Year resolution. This is about my health. The doctor gave me a good talkin’ to last month and we agreed that trying to stop sugar during the holidays would be futile. We agreed that stop date would be January 1st. Now that the New Year is upon us, Sunday is my start day. I am delaying it by one day due to spending tomorrow with the grandchildren. It would not be fair to them to have to experience what I may be like.

In preparation for this, I have loaded up. I have eaten every sweet I love in the past month at least two or three times. I ate my last box of Orton Bros. Maple Cookie Buttons four days ago, my last bit of pumpkin pie today, and tomorrow I will polish off the bagels. I ate my office mate’s White Christmas like popcorn and had a short dalliance with a tin box of cookies in the kitchen at work. It is all coming to an end.

I have precedence for doing well. Maybe. I got drunk for the last time twelve years ago today and last year at this time I stopped eating meat. Some of you may think that giving up alcohol was a big deal, but since I just replaced it with sugar, my body hasn’t really detoxed. Sugar and refined carbs metabolize in the system similar to alcohol so my body hasn’t really had to go through a complete detox.

Again, I apologize. I don’t know what I will be like, but I do have self care skills and by writing this down for all the world to see I am hoping to have support. I wouldn’t be able to do this alone.

For more info - see previous blog post with video about sugar detox.

2 comments:

  1. Should we prepare an emergency strait jacket, just in case :) Just kidding, you can do it!!

    ReplyDelete