Saturday, January 22, 2011

Quick Update - 21 Days and Still Going Strong

Today is my 21st day without sugar, flour, caffeine, or dairy and I am going strong. Here are the benefits that I have noticed so far –

1. Less bloat. This may be TMI, but I felt lighter in the first week even though I don’t think I dropped but a pound or two.

2. More energy. This took a week to ten days to happen but I have noticed a big difference. At first I was cold all the time and sleepy, but then my body must have discovered all the reserves I had built up and decided to use the extra fat for fuel. I have this image of my body languishing and moaning as it wondered where the doughnuts and cookies were. Finally, out of desperation it started in on the fat and all has been better since.

3. Sleep pattern has changed. I still go to sleep around the same time but I am now awake and ready to get up between six and seven. I used to feel the need to sleep until eight or eight thirty.

4. The cravings stopped after the first ten days, but I still get a little anxious when I am around sweets. I’m not obsessing about when my next fix will be and that feels pretty damn good.

5. Some yoga positions are easier to get into and maintain since there is less belly in the way.

I am feeling pretty hopeful. I have some goals for this next year that would be easier to do if I lose some weight. I have a bicycle on lay-away and can’t wait until Spring to try it out. I also would like to snowshoe next winter and hike new trails over the summer. I start yoga teacher training in March and will be certified by the end of the year. And --- I can’t wait for a new wardrobe!

No comments:

Post a Comment