Sunday, June 24, 2012

Summer Has Arrived!

Summer arrived this past week and it was hot.  It was almost 100 degrees for two days and in the 90s on the third.  I complained a lot!  It only lasted 3 1/2 days but I was miserable.  The cold front came through yesterday and it is now in the low 80s with blue skies.  I decided  to use the oven for a bit.  Just long enough to roast some sweet potatoes for a salad.  Here is what I did:

I peeled and cubed 3 large sweet potatoes and tossed with olive oil and chopped rosemary.  I roasted them at 400 degrees for 30 minutes, tossing halfway through.
While the roasting was going on I cooked one cup of lentils in two cups of water.  They were just about done at the same time as the potatoes.

While those cooled I sauteed a lot of garlic, some scallions (in lieu of onions), and a chopped large organic red bell pepper in the last tablespoon of garlic flavored olive oil that I had bought in New Mexico.  I am going to miss that oil.  I tore up three large leaves of kale and put those into the sauteed veggies.  I tore up the leaves small enough so that they would wilt but still have some crunch.  Most recipes call for spinach, but I went with what I had.

I tossed that all in with the potatoes and lentils and put in the fridge to cool while I made the dressing.

Dressing:  2 tablespoons of maple syrup, 1 tsp of dijon mustard, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar *, and 2 tsps of lemon juice.  Salt and pepper to taste.

I mixed it all together with the veggies and took a taste.  Even slightly warm it was very good.  I couldn't wait until it was cold to taste it and I wasn't disappointed.  It can be served warm or cold.

* If you are ever in Keene, NH, stop in Your Kitchen Store.  The store has the best balsamic vinegar I have ever tasted.  You can buy a bottle and then return and have it re-filled.  If you aren't in Keene very often I would suggest buying a large bottle.  It is very good.
http://www.yourkitchenstore.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment