Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Fine Art of Putzing

I am a putzer. I almost feel like I am saying this in the same way that I say “Hi, I’m Linda. I am an alcoholic.” Both seem to have been inherited and drinking was certainly a way to putz through life for about twenty years. Putzing, however, is also the way that someone with slight to moderate attention deficit disorder (or in my case – “oooh, look at the pretty yarn!!) gets through life.

Some of you may not be familiar with putzing. I did a search and found a definition on the Free Dictionary that describes what I am talking about. The definition I am referring to is number three (which comes after a couple of rather colorful Yiddish definitions) – “To behave in an idle manner; putter.”

I learned how to putz from my father, Robert Little. I think he took great pride in putzing and I have found the same joy in my own putzing.

Putzing is usually done on a weekend morning when there are no other demands such as a work schedule and appointments. It does not require a written To Do, list but there may be a subconscious list of little things that haven’t been gotten to during the course of one’s more structured time.

My dad would start his putzing by getting up and starting the coffee pot at around 5:30 or 6:00 a.m.. I am not that dedicated of a putzer, but I do understand the inclination. He would take his cup and walk around the house, both indoors and out. It was sort of as if he was scouting out his day. He would go to his workshop and do a little hammering, sawing or sanding and then have coffee with my mother when she got up ( a little earlier than she would like due to the sanding, hammering and sawing). I remember their breakfasts vividly. It consisted of a full pot of coffee, a pile of toast with jam, and a lot of conversation.

The putzing would then start in earnest. A little work here, a little work there, another cup of coffee, a ride into town, a stop for coffee at the corner diner, maybe a stop at a neighbors, a little more work here and a little work there. A lot was usually accomplished by the end of the day but you didn’t see it actually happening at the time. The house would be rewired, cabinets would be made and, at the same time, all of the news of the day was discussed and gossip was heard (though my father would never admit to being a gossip).

I love to putz on the weekends. I get up, settle at the computer and do my socializing. Then I get a cup of coffee or tea and do all the little things that I don’t get to during the week – clean the litter box, wipe down the bathroom, change the battery and brush on my toothbrush, water the plants, check out the news on the web, sort out my knitting bag, pick up a little clutter, brush Boo, and call a friend. None of this is done purposefully. I would call it more of a meditative mode of mindless idleness that ends up being productive. Projects like laundry and vacuuming only fall into putzing if they are done with other little things rather than at a designated time for cleaning house. Cleaning can be done while putzing but putzing is not done while cleaning if the cleaning is intentional. I usually do my intentional cleaning on Friday evenings so I have more time for putzing on Saturday and Sunday morning.

It is very important to note, though, that doing nothing is not putzing. There has to be some action in order to actually be putzing. Putzing starts with the first movement towards some small task, even if it is just washing a dish. There is momentum in putzing that carries me through the day.

Errands are a part of putzing as long as there is no pressure. I love having errands on Saturday morning. Recycling center, grocery store, post office and library are all places to putz to while listening to Saturday morning NPR as long as the putzing leaves room to veer off ab chosen task when something else gets my attention i.e. “Look! A farmer’s market! An alpaca farm!! Ice Ceam!” and the aforementioned magnetic pull of a yarn shop.

I am usually thinking great significant and philosophical thoughts while all this putzing is taking place. I ponder on the current political scene, wonder why cats only throw up on carpets and not tile, question design flaws on the human body (really – why do we have ear wax?), and plan for more structured activities for later in the day. Putzing allows for spontaneous phone calls to grandchildren and friends, naps, internet shopping, a little yoga, and writing blogs without deadlines, and has no measurable and achievable objectives. Putzing is an end in itself and the finished results are really means to the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment