Sunday, March 7, 2010

Sunday with a Dash of Spring

It’s a quiet Sunday morning. I am not sure I have anything to write about this morning and, in some ways, that is a good thing. It means that life is in balance at this moment. There is no angst or drama and I feel pretty calm and content at this particular moment. There is something very peaceful about sitting on my couch with a purring cat while I look out at the blue sky.
I went for a good walk yesterday. Actually, it was an excellent walk. I had been in a conference in Boston for a day and a half and my brain was ready to explode. I left a little early and came back home so that I would have time to enjoy the wonderful weather. I didn’t really have a plan. I just put on the walking shoes and walked out the door. I was soon walking down the road and knew that the SPCA was exactly a mile from my apartment. I set that as my goal and did not worry about how long that would take me.
Up until the past year moderation was not really something I had developed and as I was walking yesterday I had a few little negative voices berating me for considering a two mile walk an acceptable goal. I started thinking of the days when I would not have thought twice of running ten miles in the morning and then going on an extended bike ride in the afternoon, followed by a weight training session. That was twenty four years ago.
These days it is more important that I get the fresh air, sunshine and the moderate exercise than it is for me to set goals that I just can’t accomplish at this time. I envy people who have managed to maintain their healthy lifestyles for years, running marathons at sixty, climbing mountains at seventy and beyond. I realize, however, that because of my former inability to do anything in moderation I need to set reasonable goals that challenge me but can be accomplished even in the face of the damage I have done to my body by living a life of excess. Oh, what I forgot to mention (or maybe was just choosing to withhold) in the paragraph above is that a lot of my exercise was done before or after a night of heavy drinking. That is what I mean by living a life of excess.
So here is what I know for sure – walking is very important to me and if I can do it in the woods and near water – all the better. Yoga is a necessity because it keeps my muscles from contracting after a walk and I am able to walk more often. Yoga also keeps me mindful of my body and what it needs. My theme for exercise needs to be “listen to my body.” The best exercise goal for me is to just do it. If my body says we need to do a shorter walk today, then that will be it. If it feels loose and energetic, then a longer walk at a quicker pace will be the plan. If it wants to just be on the floor doing gentle stretches, then so be it.
I hope to eventually be able to apply the same philosophy to food. I have already done that in some ways. I realize that I feel lighter by no longer eating mammals and fowl and by incorporating more vegetables into my diet. I also know that I am ignoring my body’s messages about wheat products and sugar. I am aware of what my body is telling me but I am still ignoring it. I think the next step will have to be a gluten free diet and I am not sure how I feel about that.
After a month of being in a flu coma I have finally resurfaced at the time when Spring seems to be making an early appearance. I hope it isn’t just a visit and that it plans to stay awhile. I think the sunshine will do us all some good.

No comments:

Post a Comment