Sunday, January 24, 2010

Riding the Waves

I woke up tired, achy and a little cranky this morning. Sunday morning is my writing time and I was ready to just toss it aside for a little pity party on the couch when I realized that this is what it is all about. It is doing what I always tell others to do when they are not feeling up to participating in the world – just take one step and see what happens.
So here I am, at the computer and writing again. It is already helping. In the rooms of Twelve Step programs they tell you to HALT. In other words, don’t get too hungry, angry, lonely or tired. I can certainly identify with all of those. There was an evening this week when I was tired. I was feeling a little lonely and I was hungry. Even though I had perfectly healthy food at home that just needed to be reheated I started to feel the pull to the convenience store. I think the “convenience” is that they conveniently keep a person from eating healthy and provide the convenience of plenty of beer available so a person doesn’t have to drive so far when they go get their second 12 pack of the evening. Fortunately I am long past the latter but the former still causes my car wheels to turn on too many occasions.
It was a fight to the finish. I wasn’t sure I was past the temptation until I was actually in my apartment, changing out of my work clothes and the left over stir-fry was heating in the microwave. Here is the dilemma, though. The healthy food helped with the hunger but there was still some angst going on in me that was hard to satisfy. If there had been chips and dip or ice cream or cookies in the house I probably would’ve eaten them. You see, for someone like me, food is not about filling the stomach and feeding the body. Unfortunately, it has a lot to do with filling the emotional emptiness and sometimes it is difficult to figure out what will do the filling in lieu of the sugar or the crunchy/salty.
I am in the process of learning more about depression and the darkness of the soul. One of the things that struck me during this process of growth and investigation is that we all experience it. It is a part of our human existence and we all have our own ways of dealing with the darkness. For some it is food, for others it may be drugs and alcohol, overwork, affairs, lying in bed for hours or manic creativity. It could be crossing the line of balance and over exercising or becoming compulsive about cleaning or keeping things we feel we may need in the future. I have seen all of these things in my own experience, in my family and in those people that have sat in the chair opposite of me in therapy. We all seem to be trying to find our way out of some emotion to the person, thing or action that will fill up that empty space.
I was listening to Pema Chodron’s talk on Unconditional Confidence the other day and heard her tell the story about how when she was first a nun her mentor, Trungpa Rinpoche, told her that life was a series of big waves. He told her that it was like standing in the water and having a big wave come and crash so hard you found yourself face down in the sand and struggling to stand up again. As soon as you stand and feel some balance, the next big wave came along and the whole process starts all over again. A lot of what we do in life has to do with trying to hold off that next big wave and that is impossible. The wave is coming. It is a part of life. The best we can do is to put our energy into taking care of ourselves during the time that the wave has gone back out to sea so that maybe we are stronger when it hits.
Depression comes in when we start to feel that we just want to stay down in the sand and not even bother to get back up. We want to pack up our bags and leave the beach. We want to bawl like a baby and scream at the waves. Some religions tell us that if we just ride out the waves with faith that we will eventually reach a glorious place where we can sit on the beach and bask in the sun and not have to deal with the waves any more. Since I have already self disclosed so much I might as well go ahead and say that I no longer can believe in a God that would be as cruel as to bounce us around in the surf with the promise that if we behave according to his will we will receive our reward. Instead I believe that we already have that peace within us that we can access at any time through meditation and breath work. I just have to remember to go there.
We know it exists. Other people have been able to access it in the midst of their pain. Without being able to rise above the waves of despair and find that holy place within Abraham Lincoln would never have been able to be president and take the country through the Civil War and write the Emancipation Proclamation. Great music would never have been written or played, poetry would have been lost, and books would never have reached the printed page. It gives me solace to know that the things that have given me the most comfort in my times of sorrow and pain have been created by people who have suffered their own pain and have found their spark within the darkness.
I know that I suffer the most when I am resisting that next wave. If I am future tripping by worrying about my son or his wife or my grandchildren getting sick, a friend dying, losing my job, or being diagnosed with a major illness, I am spending all my energy on fighting against the inevitable pain of life when I can be using that energy to enjoy the moment I am in and nurturing the light that will carry me through the darkness of that next wave. The key is to remember that the light exists. I was reminded just by sitting down and writing this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment