Sunday, July 17, 2011

Linda and Her Feet

This weekend was the fifth weekend of yoga teacher training. Four more weekends to go. I am amazed at all I have accomplished thus far.

Today I spent a lot of quality time with my toes. I wrapped my fingers around my big toes to pull myself deeper into a forward bend and later on I actually balanced for a few minutes on my lower back/upper buttocks while my legs were spread, knees bent, and holding onto my big toes again. I am so glad no one got that on video because I am afraid that the sight of my ass on YouTube would be horrific. Some poor guy would probably go into shock and start yelling, “What is the meaning of this? Why is this happening to me?” I may be exaggerating but it would still be enough to at least cause someone to lose their teeth. I say that only because my father used to laugh so hard that his dentures would fall out and once bounced off a woman’s head. So it is not out of the question that it could happen again to some other poor guy. Just saying.

After five months of regular yoga practice and learning more each time we get together I am now much stronger. I feel like I am moving into postures with more ease and managing to get deeper into some poses. I have made friends with my feet by actually being able to reach them in forward bends. I can massage them and talk to them. I will never be able to put them behind my head and I don’t even plan on being able to bring them up to my face. There is no need for that. Who does that? Those positions are on a list that I have made of things I will never do. The list was started years ago when I made up my mind not to ever go on a roller coaster that did loops. The list also includes taking a cruise (that would take another blog post to explain), going to a Celine Dion concert, dating a Republican, wearing high heels, and doing any yoga pose that requires that I balance on my hands or stand on my head or shoulders.

There may be others. Oh, yes. I will not be doing this thing that requires a person to lie on the floor, put their feet over their head, and then roll up into a downward dog. Nope. Not going to happen. Watch this guy. The narrator calls it a simple way to get into downward dog. I call it a simple way to get a headache, hurt my neck, and get dizzy. I used to be able to do that with a 12 pack of Michelob. I don't want to feel that way again!


I have also learned that there are things that I can do that other more fit people can’t do. I am pretty flexible and the only thing that keeps me from doing some things is fat. On the other hand, there are people who are much stronger and able to do more because of their strength. That is okay. I am fine with that. It is the same thing as knowing that I will never be on the cover of Sports Illustrated’s Swimsuit issue or be a brain surgeon. I don’t have what it takes and, when it comes right down to it, I am fine with it.

I am just proud that I am hanging in there even when my body is screaming at me. I think the meditation and breathing techniques, mantras, and guided relaxations help to quiet down the rebellion that is occurring in my muscles.

That is another part of yoga. Accepting and being fine with what is. I can do that. I have had years of practice. I can breathe, I can move, I can close my eyes and focus on being still. If I can still all the busyness in my mind and calm down the committee within for just a few seconds, then it is all worth it. And I like being able to play with my toes.

No comments:

Post a Comment