Saturday, July 9, 2011

Reflections on my Saturday Morning Bike Ride

I found out today that it is easier to roll out of bed at 6:30 a.m. when I tell myself that after my bike ride and massage I can nap or knit while watching three episodes of True Blood. I also realized that underneath my fat and loose skin, I actually have Michelle Obama arms! There are some really nice biceps under there. I guess the downward dogs from yoga have done their magic on my upper body.

Early morning after a thunderstorm is a great time to ride. It is still cool and as the sun came up and a breeze moved through the trees next to the river, I was sprinkled with the remains of last night’s rain falling from the trees. It was a gift from the trees and it made me giggle.

Everything smells very good first thing in the morning.

Bikes and horses are very similar in that when they are in sight of the barn, they start to head in that direction even if the rider has other plans. I made sure that I stayed at least a mile away from home until I knew I was done.

Shifting gears, as in life, is critical when going up and down hills, or pedaling against the wind.

Early morning rides are best because all of the pasty faced, beer bellied, cigarette smokin' red necks that like to yell obscenities at bicyclists are still sleeping off their hangover.

The saddle sores hurt less after ten miles because the bum has gone numb and can’t feel anything.

The tan that I have from bicycling is more gratifying that a tan I would get from lying on a beach. It may not be even; it may stop right above my knees; I may have raccoon eyes from my sunglasses, but I love a tan that was earned with sweat.

No comments:

Post a Comment