Sunday, July 3, 2011

First Sunday in July Musing

I didn’t get up as early as I would have liked this morning. I think I was having good dreams and still enjoying the relaxation I felt as I sat in Kristen’s back yard with her, her partner, her two year old, and my friend, Darcy. Kristen lives in the countryside of Peterborough, NH in with a wonderful view of the region. She also has a groundhog living in her stone fence. She came out and eyed the garden for a bit and then went back underground. She may have decided to wait for an early breakfast.

I love watching two year olds think. Augustine had spent most of the morning yardsaling with his father and had come home with a handcrafted toddler kitchen set and a ton of Matchbox cars. He spent a lot of time zooming the cars off the end of a lawn chair and then cooking rocks in his kitchen. He is a beautiful child with large brown eyes and long lashes, and a head full of luscious curls. He would make a good spokeschild for healthy, country living.

This morning I had an itch to go for a short bike ride. There is a forecast of thunderstorms for the rest of the day and I just needed to get out for a bit. I headed over towards River Road and enjoyed watching the activity as I rode by. There were fish jumping and catching skimmer bugs leaving ever widening circles on the otherwise mirror surface of the water. A group of kids were swimming on the far shore, swinging from a rope over the river and sliding down a slide into the water. Another child was paddling around in an inner tube. They must have put on their swimsuits as soon as they woke this morning.

As I got to the end of the road and came upon a bridge I saw a pontoon boat coming down the river. It was covered in some sort of drapes and someone was playing Middle Eastern dance music. The kind I used to belly dance to (yes, I have belly danced and am thinking of taking it up again when I have less belly). I imagined the inside of the boat decked out with cushions and someone dressed as Cleopatra lying back eating fresh strawberries and drinking mimosas. I waved and saw a hand come out and someone whistled. It was a nice morning on the river.

My only complaint was the garbage. I do not understand why people throw their McDonald’s bags and beer cans on the side of the road. I consider it violence against our Mother and wonder about the mindset of such folks. I don’t know how we will ever have a sustainable planet when we can’t even do the smallest thing. Please, if you use it put it away and, if it is your garbage, throw it away. Our Mother is not able to pick up after us. It is our responsibility.

Namaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment