Sunday, June 26, 2011

Last Sunday in June Musings

I just finished cleaning the apartment. It took longer than usual. I rate cleaning at three levels: 1) Boo and I are happy and I can find everything I need; 2) company clean, and 3) OMG! My mother is coming clean. I almost made it to number three today. No chance that mom is going to stop by in the flesh, but I can pretty much hear her chuckling at the state of my oven. That is the one thing that I didn’t do that would have given me the full #3 rating. I did, however, clean out the tray under the toaster and since the refrigerator is a self-defroster, I didn’t need to worry about that. In the past, my mother was known for asking me if she could defrost the freezer as she couldn’t sleep until it was done. Another time, while we were playing cribbage, she asked me if I ever cleaned out the tray on the toaster. I let her know that if it was bothering her she could have at it.

Since I have real problems being told what to do (#1 reason I am still single), I have been known to leave things undone just because I was told to do them. My ex-husband and I used to do this passive-aggressive thing to see how high the garbage would get before one of us took it out. He didn’t realize that I had twenty years of defiance (including taking off on my own twice during the summer I was two) behind me when he married me and I usually lasted longer than he did, but he got nastier about it. This explains a lot about my son’s teen years, but I won’t go into that right now for the sake of his privacy and to maintain what is a pretty great relationship.

In addition to actually picking up and dusting knick knacks and moving furniture to dust, I went at my closet like a woman on a mission. Everything that was too big has been bagged and will be handed over to a shelter program or Planet Aid. I found two pairs of slacks that still had tags on them that I had purchased on line. They were too small when I got them and I may actually fit into them now. I also got rid of some things I just didn’t like. Now I have enough hangers for some things that have just been tossed on the shelf. I have clothes that fit now, will fit before fall, and some clothes that should be okay for next spring or summer. I may need some new winter clothes when the time comes around. Very cool. I feel very good about that!

I am hoping to get out on my bike today, but the weather continues to look iffy. It is only seven weeks until the MS Ride on the Seacoast when I will need to do 25 miles. I have done half that with no problem but am not sure about the full 25. I need to work on hills. I don’t want to spend too much time walking my bike up hills and I am unsure how many there are.

After increasing my blog posts this past week, writing some haikus, and the Misplaced Modifiers meeting yesterday, I am feeling like I can get back to my novel over the next week. I am setting a goal of finishing it by the end of the year. I think that is do-able as long as I actually sit down and write. I will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment