Saturday, June 25, 2011

Saturday Morning Farmers' Market


I can’t think of a better way to spend a Saturday morning that going to the library for a few good novels followed by a trip to the Concord Farmers’ Market. I had planned to go strawberry pickin’ today but the weather is iffy and the ground is wet and I am a prima donna. But the trip to the Farmers’ Market was well worth it.

I don’t know if it was declared “Dog Day” but the market was full of them and I am kicking myself for not taking my camera. There were little ones and big ones, fluffy ones and sleek ones, quiet ones and very verbal ones. My first favorite was a golden retriever that had eyes that made me want to hand over all my money, my home, my car, and bank account. This dog could have talked me into jumping into an icy river. He was so good. He sat quietly, gazing up at his human, hoping for a fresh strawberry or a dog treat. I don’t think I could own a dog like that. I would be wrapped around his paw and he would be so spoiled that my grandchildren would be jealous. Yes, he was a beautiful dog.

The second dog was a member of my favorite breed, Bernese Mountain dog, and her name was Lucy. She was soft and gentle and I ran my hands all through her dark brown fur. She also had big, soulful brown eyes. Lucy was getting a lot of attention and was handling it all with equanimity and grace.

My goal was to be able to pick up enough things that I could cross the grocery store off the list of places I needed to go this morning. One stand had summer squash and spring onions and a huge pile of arugula. I imagined a warm arugula salad with tuna and decided to get a pound. I piled a pound up on the scale and when the smiling woman bagged it up, she added another handful saying that she wanted to make it a better pound. And, before I finished paying, she had stuffed another handful in the bag. I have more arugula than I can eat in two days!! I think it is like spinach, though. Once you wilt it down over the heat in some olive oil, it doesn’t look like so much.

I bought two quart of strawberries from the Carter Hill Farm stand; one quart for me and one quart to take to the writing group this afternoon. I would have bought more but I still have hopes of picking some to freeze tomorrow morning. But then, I seem to eat them faster than I can freeze them!

No comments:

Post a Comment